Fuel Figures

General Discussion - Anything Toyota iQ

Fuel Figures

Postby pjmcginnes » Thu May 07, 2009 8:50 pm

Hi all , i am due to place an order for an iQ2 this weekend , but am now concerned about stated miles per as stated by Toyota . I have looked at a lot of reviews online and quite a few indicate that fuel consumption i a lot higher than expected .Is there an iQ owner out there who can put my mind at ease before i sign on the dotted line , Cheers
pjmcginnes

Re: Fuel Figures

Postby saucebox » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:23 am

Hello

I've only just seen your blog so I'm probably too late to help as you have perhaps now placed an order for your new car - was it an iQ or have you gone for someting else?

The mpg fig on the Toyota baby is a hot topic with me because I'm hugely disappointed with the results I'm getting. Allowing for the fact that all brochure claims are in excess of the consumption you get in the real world, I had conservatively estimated that I'd most likely get a min of 56 mpg. The reality? 53 mpg., which I think is appalling. I've now done about 1200 miles and I'm hoping that the engine will loosen up a bit more and thus improve the figures. We shall see. I took the car into my dealer and they did a painstaking test-bed and test drive assessment: they found nothing wrong.

I'd be interested in your comments and experience.
saucebox

Postby pjmcginnes » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:42 am

Thanks for replying , I have ordered iq2 and was promised delivery today , but have now been told it will be 16th of this momthv, I have gone with manual option . I am sorry you have been getting such bad mileage , when I eventualy get my car I will keep you posted on fuel consumption and mpg cheers
pjmcginnes

Postby saucebox » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:55 am

Thanks to you too for replying - appreciated, The on board computers in most cars are not a reliable indication of true cosnsumption, just as the speedo reading sare unreliable as well If and when you record the ACTUAL miles between fill-ups, I would be very interested to hear your results. I do hope you like your new baby; I'm fairly happy with mine although I think that it's a flawed genius.

Hope to hear from you as and when.

Kind regards
saucebox

Postby whats ur iq » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:36 pm

Just to add my figures to this post, which are also on my thread, 'Me and my IQ day.'

I have an IQ 1 manual. On the last fill up Computer was reading 57mpg actual was 55mpg.

I now have 700 miles on the clock and this tank the computer is showing 60mpg. So i'll update this with an actual when I fill up but reckon 58mpg will be about accurate. Going on the above accuracy the computer is 3.63% in error which is fairly acceptable I would reckon.

I have found the best way to drive, is to let the car do the work, due to the long gears trying to make it work hard just uses more fuel with out actually going any faster. Use the computer on instant readout as you drive, when your at a constant speed or even accelerating note (mentally) what the mpg is giving you. Then back off the accelerator slightly so your holding speed, or not accelerating much slower and note the read out then, it can make quite a difference.

I'll be covering 1,000 miles in 3 days in my IQ in a couple of weeks Edinburgh-London and back, so hopefully that will help loosen it up and improve the mpg further. I'll post a low-down on its long distance capabilities when I return. Hope this helps!! and I hope you enjoy your IQ as much as I do.

Saucebox, 1 suggestion for you to check on your car would be the tracking. This can make a surprising difference to mpg if it is not quite right. My steering wheel was off centre when on a flat straight road. I had my dealer realign the tracking to straighten it up which it has, not saying it's changed my mpg, but it reminded me of having a mondeo a while back and after having tyres changes and tracking done, I lost 3-4 mpg took it back and they hadn't adjusted the tracking properly. When they did mpg recovered. Engines/fuelling are on a small part of maximising mpg, tyre pressures/tracking/slightly binding brakes/wheel bearings etc etc.... can all make as much difference, has your dealer checked all these? I would expect your mpg to start picking up now your getting a few miles on it, but being new, everything is slightly tighter bearings/engine/gearbox are all still bedding in. I'd expect your economy to pick up to 60 ish by the time you've4-5k on the clock with everything else being right. I hope this helps!
whats ur iq

Postby saucebox » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:13 am

PS (!) One thing re your imminent iQ delivery - and I wish I had been alert to what i'm about to mention (nothing to do with fuel consumption this time). Try to get - if they do them and I'm not sure on this point - some scuff plates fitted to the bottom door sills. I have marked mine by 'clumsily' geting out of the car and the result is that the base of the door frame is permanently and horribly marked... If you can't get these accessories then do be careful not to make the same mistake as i've described. Also: be v e r y careful when rleasing the seat belt(s); it's a pain in the proverbial but you need to very, very carefully and slowly guide the chrome fastening back into it's 'home' otherwise it will, as it were, become a loose canon and in the course of flinging it's way back to the wall aperure, mark the panellin. Fortunately I did alert myself to this potential prob the first time I stepped out of the car so at least that part of my car's cabin remains unblemished.

Whats ur iq - thanks for your tracking suggestion. appreciated.

Shall be interested to especially hear from ANYONE on the question of fuel consumption.
saucebox

Postby whats ur iq » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:45 pm

Just filled up! 347.3 miles/26.2 litres 60.2 mpg!!!! Computer showing 60mpg too!! but that's its maximum so who knows.

So it's improving only 5.5 mpg more required to get to the official figures!!!

Anyway, what's surprising is it being 5 mpg higher than the last tank, ok so 120 miles was in 1 return trip on the motorway, but the rest on mainly shortish 3-10 mile journeys as before.The only other change apart from the engine loosening marginally was having the tracking re-aligned, so I would suggest as I did above that can make a difference. I now have just over 800 miles on the clock for reference.
whats ur iq

Postby pjmcginnes » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:39 am

Looking forward to the 16th , i am sure it wont take me long to get through the first tank of petrol so i hope to have a post of mpg shortly after delivery lol . Will keep fingers crossed that delivery of car go's ahead as planned as this is second date given .
pjmcginnes

Postby Poppabeans » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:51 pm

Hi all. Just thought I'd pass on my latest mpg figures - managing to get approx 63mpg. IQ has done 1200 miles. Mostly motorway and A roads...
Poppabeans

Postby samabhi111 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:22 am

pjmcginnes wrote:Hi all , i am due to place an order for an iQ2 this weekend , but am now concerned about stated miles per as stated by Toyota . I have looked at a lot of reviews online and quite a few indicate that fuel consumption i a lot higher than expected .Is there an iQ owner out there who can put my mind at ease before i sign on the dotted line , Cheers

Yeah, it fuel consumption is little more but it is worth it.
Toyota Supra 2006 Toyota Highlights
samabhi111

Next

Return to Toyota iQ General